Marlene Toews Janzen
Marlene Toews Janzen
Language teacher, Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute
70 Laurier Avenue East, Room 022
Bureau: 613-562-5800 ext. 3466
Work E-mail: janzenm@uOttawa.ca
I have had a variety of language teaching experiences: Core French in junior and senior high school; French Immersion work in elementary schools; English for new Canadians from many countries, either as a tutor or in the classroom; EFL to young adults and professionals in Cairo, Egypt (1993-95; 2007-present); ESL at the University of Ottawa since 1995; and teacher training and support- with both foreign-trained teachers (in Canada and abroad) and Canadian and international students in the Second Language Teaching program. I have done some work in writing evaluation and rater training as well as program evaluations of second language teaching programs in Cairo and Sri Lanka. I love my job because I meet so many students from different faculties and cultural backgrounds. I am interested in learning how to more effectively teach both language and language teachers, and I also continue to work at my own language learning (at present, French and Arabic).
- DLS1101 Introduction to Second Language Teaching II;
- ESL 1113 English Grammar for Second Language Learners: Elementary level
- ESL1112 Oral and Written Communication in ESL: Elementary Level II;
- ESL2111 Oral and Written Communication in ESL: Intermediate Level I;
- ESL 2113 English Grammar for Second Language Learners: Intermediate level
- ESL2121 Reading and Writing Skills for Second Language Learners: Advanced Level I;
- ESL2181 Immersion Course in ESL: Receptive Skills (History and Administration);
- ESL2331 Listening Skills for Second Language Learners: Advanced Level I;
- ESL2351 Oral Communication Skills for Second Language Learners: Advanced Level I;
- ESL2361 Writing Skills for Second Language Learners: Advanced Level I;
- ESL2371 English Grammar for Second Language Learners: Advanced Level I;
- ESL2372 English Pronunciation for Second Language Learners;
- ESL3166 Advanced English for ESL/EFL Teaching: Practice;
- ESL 3181: Immersion Course in ESL: History and Administration
- ESL 3363 English Administrative Writing for Second Language Learners
- ESL3371 English Grammar for Second Language Learners: Advanced Level II;
- ESL 4375 The Cultural Dimensions of Communication in a Second Language (English in Canada)
- ESL 4391 From Language to Literature
- DLS1101 Introduction to Second Language Teaching II.
- DLS 3103 English for Specific Purposes
(2015) Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL): Adjunct language classes at the University of Ottawa. In Engin Arik, Ed. New Research into Language Teaching, Learning and Assessment: Selected Papers from the International Symposium on Language and Communication in Izmir Turkey, June 2012 and June 2013 (pp. 13-22).Ankara, Turkey:MacroWorld Publishing, 2015.
Toews Janzen, Marlene. Reading and Re-Telling Folktales: A Doorway to Enriched Communication in Adult EFL and ESL. TESL Ontario Contact, 39(3), August, 2013, 40-53.
(2013) with GHRD Consultants, Colombo: Consultant and co-editor of the Assessment and Evaluation of the Teaching/ Learning Process of Second Language Training Courses Conducted by NILET in Sri Lanka. The final report and recommendations were approved by the National Languages Project in Colombo (sponsored by Agri-Team Canada and DFAT-D, Government of Canada) and by the Government of Sri Lanka. September, 2013, 95 pp.
(2012) GHRD Consultants, Colombo. Technical expert and final editor for a Program Evaluation Design: Assessment and Impact Evaluation of the Teaching/Learning Process of Second Language Training Courses Conducted by NILET developed by GHRD (GreenTech Human Resource Development, Ltd) for the National Institute of Language Education and Training in Sri Lanka. The design was accepted by NILET, by DEFAT-D, Government of Canada and the sponsoring NGOs (Agri-Team and NLP), and given official parliamentary approval in Colombo in January of 2013. The goal of the evaluation is to assess the effectiveness of the second language training courses they conduct for public officers in Sri Lanka. December, 2012, 12 pp.
(2012) Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL): Adjunct English classes at the University of Ottawa. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Language and Communication 2012: Research trends and challenges, (97-115). Erzurum, Turkey: Mega Press..
(Nov. 2008) Book Review of Marilyn Lewis and Hayo Reinders (2008) Using Student-Centered Methods with Teacher-Centered Students (2nd ed.) Pippin Press in TESL Ontario Contact, 34 (4 ): 19-21.
(Aug. 2008) Context-Sensitive EFL Teacher Education: Adapting Speaking Activities. TESL Ontario Contact, Vol.34 (3): 9-16
(2008) Ryan, W., Gobeil. M., Hope, A., Toews Janzen, M. Evaluation of the French Inmmersion Studies Academic Stream. Report #2. OLBI.
(2007) Ryan, W,Courcelles, P., Hope, A., Buchanan, B., Toews Janzen, M. (2007) Evaluation of the French Inmmersion Studies Academic Stream. OLBI.
(2004) Co-editor with Dr. Amelia Hope of the new CanTEST Writing Examination Manual;
(2004) Co-author with Amelia Hope of the new Rater Training Manual: Exemplar Papers and Commentaries.
Presentations and Workshops at conferences
- (Oct. 2015) Using Folktales to promote Communication and Intercultural Sharing. One-hour workshop for 40 teachers at the TESL Canada Conference, Lake Louise, Alberta
- (March. 2015) Promoting Communication and Intercultural Sharing through Folktales. Presentation part of the CCERBAL Symposium presented at the World Congress of Modern Languages, Niagara Falls, Ontario.
- (Dec. 2014) Improving Writing: The Doorway to Success. Workshop presented to English professors and students at the Canadian International College in Cairo, Egypt.
- (April, 2014)with Maria Caridad Batson Smith (Universidad Pedagogica de las Tunas, Cuba). Teaching and Assessing Speaking: Sharing Assumptions and Practices in Teacher Formation in Cuba and Canada. Paper presented at the WEFLA Conference, University of Holguin, Cuba.
- (Oct. 2013) Folktales:A doorway to enriched oral communication in adult EFL and ESL. A 2-hour workshop presented to teachers at the University of Ottawa English Intensive Program Professional Development Day.
- (April, 2013) with Maria Caridad Batson-Smith, Ma. (Universidad Pedagogica de las Tunas, Cuba). Context-sensitive EFL teacher education: Always and only CLT? Preparing pre-service and experienced teachers in and for EFL contexts. Paper presented at the Mini-WEFLA Conference in Holguin, Cuba.
- (April, 2013). Using Folktales to Develop Oral Communication Skills in EFL. A 3 ½ hour pre-conference workshop/course for EFL teachers and students in EFL pedagogy at the University of Holguin. Mini-WEFLA Conference, Holguin, Cuba,
- (November, 2012). Using Folktales to Develop Oral and Written Communication Skills. A two-hour workshop for ESL teachers in Ontario. TESL Ontario Conference, Toronto, ON. Invited to re-present this workshop based on feedback received the previous year.
- (October 2012). Using Folktales to Develop Communication Skills. A 90-minute workshop for Canadian ESL teachers. TESL Canada Conference, Kamloops, B.C.
- (June, 2012) with C. Danforth. Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL): Adjunct English classes at the University of Ottawa. Paper presented at the International Symposium on Languages and Communication (ISLC): Research trends and challenges. Izmir, Turkey.
- (June, 2012) Folktales: A literary lingua franca for teaching English as an International language (EIL). Paper presented at the International Symposium on Languages and Communication (ISLC): Research trends and challenges. Izmir, Turkey. \
- (May 2012). Encouraging Oral Communication in an EFL context. Invited presenter for a 4-hour teacher development workshop for a group of expatriate and Egyptian teachers in Cairo, Egypt. Copies of many locally-appropriate activities presented made available electronically to all participants and their colleagues at small, poorly-funded private language institutes in Egypt.
- (April, 2012) Using Folktales to Develop Communication Skills in ESL and EFL. Invited presenter for a 1 ½ hour workshop at the TESL North York/ York Region Spring Conference.
- (Nov. 2011) Using Folktales to Develop Communication Skills (Particularly in Oral Communication)
- (April 2010) Context-Sensitive Language Education: Teaching Speaking and Writing in the Cuban University Context. Invited presenter, 4-hour pre-conference workshop for EFL professors. WEFLA Conference in Holguin, Cuba.
- (Nov. 2008) So you want to Teach Abroad? Some Lessons Learned in Cairo, Egypt. TESL Ontario Conference, Toronto, ON.
- (April 2008) Improving Rater Reliability in ESL Writing. 4-hour pre-conference workshop. WEFLA Conference in Holguin, Cuba.
- (Nov. 2007) Context-Sensitive EFL Teacher Education: Adapting Speaking Activities. TESL Ontario Conference, Toronto, ON. Nov. 2007.
- (Nov. 2005) with A. Hope Training Raters for Reliable Assessment. 3-hour presentation and rater training session (40%) TESL Ontario Conference, Toronto, ON. November, 2005.
- (May 2005) with A. Hope, J. St. John, S. Burger, and D. Bayliss Certifying Second Language Competence. TESL Canada Conference, Ottawa, ON. May 2005
- (Oct. 2004) with S. Burger, S. Cross-curricular language learning in a post- 9/11 world: Content-based instruction at the University of Ottawa. LACxC (Language And Cultures Across the Curriculum) Conference. Binghamton, New York.