Member of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies and Director, Language Assessment and Associate Professor, Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute (OLBI), University of Ottawa
70 Laurier Avenue East, Room 121
Bureau: 613-562-5800 ext. 3464
Work E-mail: bbake3@uOttawa.ca
Beverly Baker began her career teaching English as a second or foreign language in Canada, Japan, France and the United Arab Emirates. She undertook her PhD research in language assessment with Dr. Carolyn Turner in the Department of Integrated Studies in Education, McGill University. Following her PhD, she became an Undergraduate Program Director in the same department before coming to the University of Ottawa. In her research, she explores critical approaches to language teacher development and language assessment.
Awards and Achievements
- Member-at-Large, Executive Committee, International Language Testing Association (2016-2017)
- Vice President, Canadian Association of Language Assessment (2015-2017)
- Member of Organising Committee, Language Testing Research Colloquium (International Language Testing Association) Toronto, (2014-2015)
- Canadian Association for Teacher Education (CATE) Dissertation Award.(2012)
- 2016-2019: Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) Collaboration in Haitian Teacher Development: Cultivating Inclusive Action Research Practices. PI: B. Baker
- 2013-2017: Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)
Siawinnu'gina'masultinej: Mi'gmaq language learning and teaching across the lifespan in Listuguj, PI: M. Sarkar, CI’s: B. Baker, T. Strong-Wilson and C. Lavoie;
- 2014-2016: Health Canada— TRHP (Training & Retention of Health Professionals)
H CALM (Health-Care Access for Linguistic Minorities), Piloting of a formative on-line assessment instrument for nurses learning ESL. PI’s: B. Baker, M.L. Lira-Gonzales CI’s: M. Laurier, C.E. Turner.
- BIL 5103 Assessment of Second Language Competence
- BIL 5503 Évaluation de la compétence en langue seconde
- BIL 5502 Méthodologies de recherche en études du bilinguisme
- ESL 2121 Reading and Writing Skills for Second Language Learners: Advanced Level
- ESL 3363 English Administrative Writing for English Language Learners
Refereed Publications at a Glance
- Baker, B. (2015). An Updated Visual Representation for Writing Assessment Research. Special Issue: Language Assessment in Canada: Critical Issues and Research Agenda. TESL Canada Journal, 32 (9), 134-136.
- Baker, B. A., & Laurier, M. (2015). The certification of teachers’ language competence in Quebec in French and English: Two different perspectives? Special issue: Language Assessment in the Canadian Context. Language Assessment Quarterly, 12(1).
- Baker, B., Tsushima, R., & Wang, S. (2014). Investigating Language Assessment Literacy: Collaboration between assessment specialists and Canadian university admissions officers. Special Issue--Language testing and assessment in higher education: Some current issues. Language Learning in Higher Education, 4 (1).
- Baker, B. A. (2013). Language assessment: Blurring the boundaries. Keynote talk for the Meeting on English Language Teaching (MELT), École de langues, Université de Québec à Montréal, QC.
- Sarkar, M., Lavoie, C., Metallic, J., Baker, B., & Strong-Wilson, T. (2013). Siawinnu’gina’masultinej: A language revitalization initiative for Mi’gmaq in Listuguj, Canada. Proceedings for the Seventeenth Conference of the Foundation for Endangered Languages (FEL XVII), Ottawa, Ontario.
- Baker, B. A. (2012). Individual differences in rater decision-making style: An exploratory mixed methods study. Language Assessment Quarterly, 9(3), 225-248.
- Baker, B. A. (2011). Use of the cloze-elide task in high-stakes English proficiency testing. Spaan Fellow Working Papers in Second or Foreign Language Assessment, 9, 1-16.
- Baker, B. A. (2010): Playing with the stakes: A consideration of an aspect of the social context in a gatekeeping writing assessment. Assessing Writing, 15(3), 133-153.
- Baker, B. A. (2009). Conflicting genre expectations in a high stakes writing test for teacher certification in Quebec. Spaan Fellow Working Papers in Second or Foreign Language Assessment, 7, 1-19.